Administrator
Administrator
Canada
Province/State: Ontario
Hometown: Ajax
Model: 1978 Hatchback

More Power

Unread post by Randy »

Firstly, the Civic 1200 engine is a very strong little machine which has high rev capability. To exploit this some good cheap modifications which can be made easily are the fitting of a sports exhaust and perhaps a Weber carburetor. The sports exhaust is easy enough, with a set of extractors, a hotdog and a turbo tailpipe should give you a bit more power by freeing accumulation of exhaust gases. Genie make a good tailpipe, the hotdog can be bought pretty much anywhere. As far as extractors go, well in Australia there is a header pipe made by Hurricane, as far as I know this is all there is for the Civic 1200.

Installation of a Weber is where real performance comes from at this level, note that this is not really effective without a decent exhaust system. We have used two types of Weber, the best seems to be the 32 DGV model which is an aftermarket carburetor used on just about everything up to 2 Liters. DON'T believe anyone when they tell you this is the wrong carburetor for a little Honda, from my experience so called experts haven't a clue about the capabilities of these cars! On my own Civic I have a 32 DIR 21 model which comes from a Renault 12, I think my a father picked it up for about 40 $AUS from a wreckers.

Fitting it is pretty easy: Tear off the old carburetor and air filter. Get an adaptor plate, Lynx make one for a Datsun 1200 for about 25 $AUS, that is the one to use. Since Dattos use the same Hitachi carburetor, obviously this will work. Get another air filter, we have tried lots of tricks here but the best seems to be the RamFlo type filters, once again they cost about 25 $AUS.
Welcome to the Site.