Projects
Projects
Canada
Province/State: Ontario
Hometown: Kemptville
Model: 1976 Hatchback

Restoration Steve's 1976 Honda Civic Project

Unread post by steve.ewing@ottawa.ca »

About 3 years ago, I stumbled onto Kurt's roadsailing website and was struck by the idea of transplanting an old Accord engine into a 1st Gen Civic. About the same time a fairly solid 77 Hondamatic came up for sale locally. I checked it out and thought about buying it but by the time I decided, it had been sold. Soon after that, in the spring of 2008, a 76 came up for sale locally but the asking price was way too high. I watched it through the summer and the price had dropped by $2500. Eventually I went to check it out, offered him half his asking price and he took it. In November of 2009, I toured the countryside of Pennsylvania looking for an EK and a transmission. I eventually got them both for a good price. I got the EL head from Alberta through car-parts. The transmission I've cleaned up and plan to take my chances with, the engine was delivered to Randy's Performance for a rebuild. The cylinders were bored .50 over and a hot camshaft and new rockers were installed. The 1200 was pulled and sold to 74 civic in California and I began the dismantling. I delivered the car to Dan's Autobody in August and he finally rolled it into his shop last week. Yesterday the paint went on the engine bay and interior and today the paint will go on the outside (Mercedes Tektite Grey). Next week I'll bring it home to start reassembling a few things and in early February, I'll take it to Randys to have the engine and trans installed. My plan is to be rolling by May. Thanks to everyone for making this possible by providing invaluable advice and all those countless goodies that are needed to go into a job like this. A special thanks to Kurt for kicking the whole thing off. More pictures to come.
Attachments
Engine bay painted
Engine bay painted
100_0479.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Almost ready for paint
Almost ready for paint
100_0467.JPG (132.19 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Some shots of where the rust was cut out and new pieces welded in.
Some shots of where the rust was cut out and new pieces welded in.
New tin.jpg (145.05 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Interior stripped.  Floors were all solid.  Few rusty spots here and there including 2 bad ones directly below the rear windows.
Interior stripped. Floors were all solid. Few rusty spots here and there including 2 bad ones directly below the rear windows.
100_0445.JPG (143.74 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Ready to go in
Ready to go in
100_0418.JPG (138.08 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Bottom end together
Bottom end together
100_0331.JPG (138.36 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
New pistons etc.
New pistons etc.
100_0332.JPG (140.3 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
1200 coming out.
1200 coming out.
100_0243.JPG (131.34 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Service record under the hood.  Never thought of that.
Service record under the hood. Never thought of that.
IMG_1330.JPG (38.24 KiB) Viewed 8923 times
Project begins
Project begins
IMG_1303.JPG (53.75 KiB) Viewed 8923 times

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

I still have a lot of parts that need to be cleaned, sanded and painted but I'll soon begin putting it all together. It seems like a long time that I've been collecting parts and taking stuff apart. This will be the fun part. :)

Brandon74
Turbo
Turbo
Province/State: Los Angeles, California, USA

Unread post by Brandon74 »

You're giving me restoration envy. 8) Hey, out of curiosity: your car looks like a '74. Is it definitely a '76?

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

I got the engine at DeNaples Auto Parts in Dunmore, they had 3 listed but I think I got the last one. The guy said when the price of steel went up, the dust collectors got scrapped. Nice place to deal with.

And I got the trans at Ambrosius Auto Parts in New-Albany PA. Again, he said they scrapped about 20 of them in the past 5 years. They gave me $100 off the part because I had come so far for it. Not a fancy place but great customer service.

On my way home, I got the feeling that the game will be a lot tougher for those coming behind us very soon.

By the way, bad experience with Newcomer's Truck Parts in Waynesboro. They were supposed to have both an engine and trans so I drove all the way there only to find out after 90 minutes of standing around that they had neither. Stereotypical junkyard with the stereotypical guy behind the counter. PeeWee was awfully sorry though!

In the end, my shopping trip added about 10 hours to my trip to NYC. Pulling up to the Holland tunnel was another story. An hour to drive 1 mile and then sorry sir but you can't go through with a trailer behind. :evil:
Last edited by steve.ewing@ottawa.ca on December 24th, 2010, 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

wrote: Hey, out of curiosity: your car looks like a '74. Is it definitely a '76?
My car has the headlight switch on the column which was new for 76 if I remember correctly. What about it looks like a 74 to you?

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

Kind of grainy.
Attachments
100_0485.jpg
100_0485.jpg (145.93 KiB) Viewed 5003 times
Last edited by steve.ewing@ottawa.ca on December 26th, 2010, 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

I had the camera on the low light setting. I'll update them when I get the car home.
Attachments
100_0486.jpg
100_0486.jpg (134.25 KiB) Viewed 5000 times
Last edited by steve.ewing@ottawa.ca on December 26th, 2010, 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

Brandon74 wrote:
That's interesting. I was looking at two things: the Radiator support and the contour line that runs under the headlights and continues under the grille. It appears to be a continuous slightly curved line, creating a 'smiley' face, characteristic of pre-1975 1200s. The top of the Radiator support is straight; on '75 and up cars I've seen, it comes to a point in the middle. But, I could be misreading the pictures. Regardless, I learn something new everyday.

BTW: really liking the color. I'm usually not a fan of black/blackish on 1st gens, but it looks very nicely done with a lot of subtlety and depth. :)
It's possible that these parts were replaced with those of a different year car. While disassebling the front end, I uncovered a repair job to the front right corner of the car. While in the body shop, evidence of other repairs were discovered. None of it was mentioned to me when I was buying it so I don't know the history of what was done. Good eye for detail.

I think the colour will suit it better when I start getting the trim back on and the wheels on. I'm afraid Neil's black decals will not be very obvious if I choose to put them on. I might have to get another set in another colour.

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

Got my seats back from reupholstering yesterday. No more sticky, hot, black, cracked, vinyl.
Attachments
100_0537.JPG
100_0537.JPG (108.43 KiB) Viewed 8115 times

steve.ewing@ottawa.ca
Projects
Projects
Canada

Put my new wheels on this weekend. I had polished and painted them myself but they went very dark when clear coated so I had them repainted with a quality acrylic paint and clear coated. They look very sharp now. Time will tell how durable they will be.
Attachments
Wheels.JPG
Wheels.JPG (101.65 KiB) Viewed 8048 times
Wheel.JPG
Wheel.JPG (96.22 KiB) Viewed 8048 times