Projects
Projects
Canada
Province/State: Ontario
Hometown: Kemptville
Model: 1976 Hatchback

Restoration Steve's 1976 Honda Civic Project

Unread post by steve.ewing@ottawa.ca »

About 3 years ago, I stumbled onto Kurt's roadsailing website and was struck by the idea of transplanting an old Accord engine into a 1st Gen Civic. About the same time a fairly solid 77 Hondamatic came up for sale locally. I checked it out and thought about buying it but by the time I decided, it had been sold. Soon after that, in the spring of 2008, a 76 came up for sale locally but the asking price was way too high. I watched it through the summer and the price had dropped by $2500. Eventually I went to check it out, offered him half his asking price and he took it. In November of 2009, I toured the countryside of Pennsylvania looking for an EK and a transmission. I eventually got them both for a good price. I got the EL head from Alberta through car-parts. The transmission I've cleaned up and plan to take my chances with, the engine was delivered to Randy's Performance for a rebuild. The cylinders were bored .50 over and a hot camshaft and new rockers were installed. The 1200 was pulled and sold to 74 civic in California and I began the dismantling. I delivered the car to Dan's Autobody in August and he finally rolled it into his shop last week. Yesterday the paint went on the engine bay and interior and today the paint will go on the outside (Mercedes Tektite Grey). Next week I'll bring it home to start reassembling a few things and in early February, I'll take it to Randys to have the engine and trans installed. My plan is to be rolling by May. Thanks to everyone for making this possible by providing invaluable advice and all those countless goodies that are needed to go into a job like this. A special thanks to Kurt for kicking the whole thing off. More pictures to come.
Attachments
Engine bay painted
Engine bay painted
100_0479.JPG (134.14 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Almost ready for paint
Almost ready for paint
100_0467.JPG (132.19 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Some shots of where the rust was cut out and new pieces welded in.
Some shots of where the rust was cut out and new pieces welded in.
New tin.jpg (145.05 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Interior stripped.  Floors were all solid.  Few rusty spots here and there including 2 bad ones directly below the rear windows.
Interior stripped. Floors were all solid. Few rusty spots here and there including 2 bad ones directly below the rear windows.
100_0445.JPG (143.74 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Ready to go in
Ready to go in
100_0418.JPG (138.08 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Bottom end together
Bottom end together
100_0331.JPG (138.36 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
New pistons etc.
New pistons etc.
100_0332.JPG (140.3 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
1200 coming out.
1200 coming out.
100_0243.JPG (131.34 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Service record under the hood.  Never thought of that.
Service record under the hood. Never thought of that.
IMG_1330.JPG (38.24 KiB) Viewed 8787 times
Project begins
Project begins
IMG_1303.JPG (53.75 KiB) Viewed 8787 times

Gusto (August Boehm) of , was a member of this site owns and operates 1StGenCivic.Info,
I do not endorse the site nor was I asked for permission to use or re-publish the information from here.
He scraped the web for past pages that are already included in the database of this site known as 1StGenCivic.com/org or previous generations and upgrades.
I am closing site down as an open discussion forum.