EvoCivic
LSD
LSD
Australia
Province/State: NSW
Hometown: Sydney

Re: My '75 Civic Restomod

Unread post by EvoCivic »

Speedy wrote:It fits really well in there, just going to need some modification for mounts, but nothing major. Hubs and differential line up really well, similar mounts in a couple areas, enough space to run the exhaust in the front of the engine instead of the back, enough room for the EFI system, and it just barely fits in the engine bay width-wise. Going to compare axles once I figure out where the heck I put my CVCC ones. Some problems that I see are that the sway bars look like they're going to hit the transmission and smash it against the frame of the car

I may have to relocate the sway bar to sit underneath that second rod that connects the subframe to the control arm, don't know if that would affect performance or not just by moving the sway bar a little lower for clearance? :dunno I'm going to try to keep the same angle on it along with not moving it back or forward any because I believe that might affect the leverage and force on the sway bar. Anyone have any input on this???
The sway bar is already underneath. The upper bar is the radius rod that locates the lower control arm, the lower one is the sway bar. You can't move the radius rods easily. You need to move the whole thing more to the left. To do that you will need to make a bit of clearance on the engine side. You will need to trim the left chassis rail to clear the bottom pulley. Either do it with a big hammer (I've seen this done and it's not all that pretty) or do some cutting and welding. You can use the standard left engine mount on the body with an appropriate bracket.
Civic Garage for all your rubber seal and weatherstrip needs.

Bill
LSD
LSD
United States of America
Province/State: ….
Hometown: ….
Model: —————-

Unread post by Bill »

If the map I am looking at is right, maybe, the Garrett turbo on that engine you should see 140HP @ 5 psi, somewhere around 2500 rpm....? Properly setup of course... you are going to have a lot of fun in that car!

Speedy
Province/State:

Unread post by Speedy »

username wrote:If the map I am looking at is right, maybe, the Garrett turbo on that engine you should see 140HP @ 5 psi, somewhere around 2500 rpm....? Properly setup of course... you are going to have a lot of fun in that car!
That's exactly my power goal haha I plan on running about 7psi max, and I really wanted the low end power in this engine so 2500rpm is going to an awesome power band for my type of driving. Exactly why I chose the Garrett.

Evo, you're correct, the sway bar SHOULD be underneath the radius arm. Found out last night that my dumb arse put the sway bar in upside down without noticing. Flipped it around like it should be and my clearance problem is gone lol. I started chopping up the frame last night to make room for the engine and pulleys. I'd rather chop and weld than just bash the frame in with a hammer. I mean, I've gotta do some fab work for the mounts anyways, right? Might as well go the whole nine yards.
1975 Honda Civic Si Turbo
EW4 swap, 4x100/rear disc conversion
Not your grandma's car

EvoCivic
LSD
LSD
Australia

Glad you figured out the sway bar. Looking at your pic it IS on top. I've never seen one mounted that way and didn't even realise you could get it on like that and not have it hit stuff (or was it hitting things?).
As far as the size of the bay goes, the 1500 is around 100mm longer but they are the same width.
Bashing the chassis rail into shape with a hammer is definitely the bodgy way to do it and does NOT look at all good so it's a good thing you aren't going that route.
You shouldn't actually need to modify the engine mount on the body but rather make a U-shaped bracket that bolts from it to the engine.

79cvccHM
Province/State:

Unread post by 79cvccHM »

I really like the progress. Looks good. You cant trust anybodies work but your own. Taken notes for when I do mine. Good luck sir, I am tuned in for the project.

Speedy
Province/State:

My '75 Civic Restomod

Unread post by Speedy »

Sorry for the slow updates, hopefully I can start updating more often. I've been getting a bit done though and am very excited with the progress of the car. I found a set of rims with new tires, which is exciting! Had a friend of a friend pick them up on their way to LA. They need to be polished, I'm hoping the chrome isn't already beyond polishing. I may have a hookup to have them shined up for cheap or even free.
image15_zpswld9wd2q.jpg
I painted one the way I wanted with the chrome lip, but sadly there's no chance I can get away with leaving the chrome the way it is.
image16_zpsjqoyyojj.jpg
The pictures always make the chrome on these rims look like new when in reality they look like crud. But you don't get much choice unless you wanna pay the big bucks! Anywho. I also managed to collect all the parts I needed for my rear disc swap and bolt pattern swap to fit the new rims/tires. Most parts I bought new, only ones I didn't are the ones that they don't make anymore. So hopefully soon I can get that going and have everything installed. All that is on hold at the moment though, because I got the car back from the body shop and quickly sent it out to another! The first shop didn't do as well as I thought they would and so I'm glad they didn't end up painting it. This second shop did up my uncle's 1967 VW Type 3 Notchback show car a while back and it looks amazing! In fact that car just won another award a couple weekends ago. So naturally, since they knew my uncle and they liked that I was so young and passionate about cars, they gave me the same treatment. They straightened EVERYTHING, reinforced all the thin sheet metal, and sealed every corner of the car along with getting the gaps straight and straightening out the frame. I gave them the paint code and just yesterday they started shooting the inside of it. It is EXTREMELY exciting to see some color finally go on the car! They said they were going to do the outside of the car today and finish up shooting the parts like fenders and doors tomorrow. I am VERY happy with their work and how fast they were able to turn around the car when the first body shop took a few months to do a small amount of work in comparison. Total turnaround was a little over 3 weeks.

Meanwhile as the car's been in the shop, I've had another project going for it. The dashboard and door panels are getting some genuine wood veneer on them. The door panels I had were a little warped, so I had the guy in our Laminate Department at work spray a little water on the backsides of them and leave them in the press overnight and they straightened out very nicely, they're like new panels now. I also got some African Mahogany veneer for free from a closed out job we had a year ago, and the Finishing Department lead guy is color matching it to my steering wheel and shifter knob. He's going to leave me with a quart or so of stain in case I want to do anything else on the car, which I do of course :D

Sorry for lack of pics, Hopefully everything will be coming together soon and I'll be a bit closer to the finished product. Next update I'll have the car here at my place with some color all over it! Then after that comes the Koosjer stripe 8)
Not your grandma's car

bob78cvcc
LSD
LSD
Province/State: NJ

Unread post by bob78cvcc »

It's always exciting to watch fresh paint go on.
Those wheels with the side stripes will rock! :)
78 Civic CVCC

It's just a Civic thing :)

whiterabbit06
Province/State:

My '75 Civic Restomod

Unread post by whiterabbit06 »

Have you thought about using a chrome paint? Maybe something like http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killer ... chrome.htm
Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill?

Speedy
Province/State:

Unread post by Speedy »

whiterabbit06 wrote:Have you thought about using a chrome paint? Maybe something like http://www.alsacorp.com/products/killer ... chrome.htm
I have definitely heard of chrome paint, but I've only ever heard bad things about it like it's "just a silver paint" or it doesn't even have a similar finish as chrome, or "it rusts through easier than normal paint". Have you used this stuff you're recommending? I'd like to see how it looks after 20 years :P No but really if I can I'd like to stay away from that stuff unless you can really show that it works great. Sorry for being so skeptical!
Not your grandma's car

EvoCivic
LSD
LSD
Australia

Personally I've never seen chrome paint that looks even slightly chrome like. I've tried a few and they just end up looking like silver paint.