Project 1979 Civic from Finland

Civic 1973-1979 Projects
FinCivic
Province/State:

Project 1979 Civic from Finland

Post by FinCivic »

Here is couple of pictures of my Honda. I bought it last summer and it hasn't move since 2007, expect on trailer. There is plenty of rust to fix. Engine, interior and windows and almost everything else has been taken of by earlier owner. Surprisingly how much stuff belong to that small car! My family wagon and trailer was fully loaded..

It has wrong, older model rear bumber and it's not easy to find a right kind of bumber. Also those roof moldings are missing.

http://aijaa.com/a/Tl5pId
13971018.jpg
PS. I also have some American cars, if it's permitted to talk about them in here. (1962 Ford Galaxie for example)

:cheer_leader
Last edited by FinCivic on February 25th, 2016, 10:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

EvoCivic
PsychoCiv
PsychoCiv
Province/State: NSW
Hometown: Sydney

1979 Civic project from Finland

Post by EvoCivic »

:welcome
Looks like a good restoration basis and it appears you have the work well under way :D .
Roof trim strips are no problem, similarly most of the other rubber seals.
This might also be of interest to you: http://1stgencivic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=19275"
Civic Garage for all your rubber seal and weatherstrip needs.

FinCivic
Province/State:

Re: 1979 Civic project from Finland

Post by FinCivic »

Thanks. :D Ok, so you sell rubber seals to these. I might need something someday if I don't find them any closer. But first I will fix the body all over. Just have to wait spring sunshine so it's more comfortable to weld in yard. Garage is full because my Galaxie is there in this winter season. By the way, yesterday morning was pretty cold, -30 celsius and today only -5, quite variable. You don't have this kind of weather there in Australia. Must be jealous :wink:

FinCivic
Province/State:

Post by FinCivic »

Now I have one question in my mind.. I've decide to get rid of that original front bumper. Rear bumper was already replace with an older model bumper. Now, is there any difference between rear and front bumpers in 1977 model? There is two 1977 bumpers for sale nearby and the seller isn't sure which one they are.

Is there a possibility that they are similar? :|

EvoCivic
PsychoCiv
PsychoCiv

Post by EvoCivic »

Front and rear bumpers are interchangeable. The only difference is the number plate mounting on the front bumper and that will also depend on what country they are made for. Front bumpers usually have holes for plate mounting either underneath with a little bracket or right in the middle.

FinCivic
Province/State:

Post by FinCivic »

Ok, thanks for info. Thanks also to London for message.

Now to work :driver

FinCivic
Province/State:

1979 Civic project from Finland

Post by FinCivic »

Some new pictures here,
https://aijaa.com/a/Tl5pId

Now I've moved Honda to my garage, and getting it ready for sandblast. Floor was covered with some kind of noise killer stuff and it's better to get off because there seems to be more rust under it. :roll:

Now I have '73- '77 bumpers for both ends of the car. Also find '77 hood, but not sure which one I'm gonna use.

FinCivic
Province/State:

Post by FinCivic »

Aitäh Jaanus. :wink: Civic is still waiting for sand. But first .. SNOW MUST GO OFF!!.. :cheer_leader

FinCivic
Province/State:

Post by FinCivic »

Something has happened again.. :P Now Honda is rustfree but got lot's of holes in it. :roll: But no panic, nothing that can't be fixed. Also engine has been under work. It has now new timing belt and charger belt (what it the right name for it..?), new clutch, distributor cap and wires, spark plugs and oil filter. Exhaust manifold is sanded and painted also, i set it back with new gasgets. Then I fill engine with 10w-30 mineral oil. What is the right oil to manual transmission?? :roll: Same?

PS. It's been hot as hell here in Finland, 25-27 Celsius many days already :evil: . Luckily tomorrow it's getting back to normal (under 20 C).

-Jarkko-

EvoCivic
PsychoCiv
PsychoCiv

Post by EvoCivic »

Sounds like some good progress.
I'd use synthetic or at least semi-synthetic in the engine. Much better than straight mineral oils. Gearbox also uses 10w40. I've used semi-synth in them for years with no problem.