Civic 1973-1979 Projects
mcd5150
United States of America
Province/State: Pennsylvania
Hometown: Fombell
Model: 1977 Hatchback CVCC

Project 1977 Honda Civic CVCC

Unread post by mcd5150 »

So the story begins with my second classic car. July 1st was an interesting day I have to report on. I went and bought a 1977 Honda Civic CVCC. It has over 111,000 miles on it. I bought the car from in Ohio about 100 miles from home. I knew going in there were problems, it's from 1977 and what car that is that old and doesn't have problems you are kidding yourself. On the way home the car wasn't stable above 45 miles per hour (even though the speedometer said 50). Therefore I took back roads on the way home. About 8 miles from home the front drivers side tire which was dry rotted gave itself up. I have driven a car from Florida to Pennsylvania on dry rotted tires so I felt that I could go the 100 mile trip home. The spare was also dry rotted and was in worse shape. So I called for a tow, I sat around for 5 hours awaiting for a tow. During my wait, my phone almost died twice. I am not blaming the towing company for my wait they had other jobs that day for whom he was doing work for our state police. What I did notice yesterday that a lot of people drove by, some rubber necked some didn't even pay attention. I would like to thank the police officer that came by twice during his shift to come and check on me. He even brought me a water. In 1977 no one ever dreamed of having a cup holder, one modification I'm going to add in the future.
Also it seems that I need to get a new belt, it was squealing like a banshee after I blew my tire. Come to find out that that a bolt on the alternator is not there. I know she needs work. I felt every single bump on the road, I'm hoping the shimmy in steering is caused from the bad tires, in which I'm going to buy 4 new 12s, yes 12s not putting 20s on this one. The tires are also the wrong size so that's why the speedometer was off. I know I have a good mechanic that will look over the car and give me an honest opinion.
The car was painted at least once before and after looking at the car there are some dent that I didn't notice before. I am not sure if she is a 4-speed or a 5-speed but she grinds in second and third if you don't have enough rpms or if you don't put the clutch all the way in. Body has literally no rust except for a small bubble on the drivers a-pillar.
Also I asked my dad to come out and keep me company in which he stayed with me for a couple of hours. I'm not upset at the towing company or none of the people that didn't stop. I'm grateful for the people that did one guy stopped by and told me his first car was a 1977 Civic and he just might have a spare wheel in his basement. He also told me to pick up some points because his car used to go through them pretty regularly. Oh and a side note on the way home one of the vehicles that passed me by a 1949 Ford pickup that didn't even notice me was broken down a mile down the road. That Ford was the tow truck drivers next job. I'd rather get all the kinks worked out now before I really try something extreme, like highway speeds and Pittsburgh traffic.
19598442_10207654165307229_1069421871937464333_n.jpg
End of the project to hopefully look like this
i010256.jpg
For a possible run coast to coast

Gusto (August Boehm) of , was a member of this site owns and operates 1StGenCivic.Info,
I do not endorse the site nor was I asked for permission to use or re-publish the information from here.
He scraped the web for past pages that are already included in the database of this site known as 1StGenCivic.com/org or previous generations and upgrades.
I am closing site down as an open discussion forum.