Projects
Projects
United States of America
Province/State: PA
Model: 1977 Hatchback

Project 77' 1200 Autocross Build

Unread post by NathanKar »

A little back story first!
I have only owned the car for about seven months. It sat in storage for roughly fourteen years before i purchased it. The original owner did have it running two years prior. He drained the fuel, changed the fuel filter, and swapped a new battery. Drove it around the block a few times and back into storage.
To my surprise it made it roughly sixty miles home with two year fuel, a carburetor that was horribly gummed up, and a gas tank that was filled with rust.

First thing was to rebuild the carburetor. (my first carburetor rebuild, my old man couldnt help but laugh at my struggle to understand it)
Dropped the gas tank, cleaned it out with a nice muriatic acid bath.
A bunch of general maintenance. Fluids, fliters, seals, plugs, wires, etc.

I live in Pennsylvania (good ol' snow belt) so it went into the barn for the winter. Luckily we had a random 70 degree day in the middle of Feb (its now 28 Degrees, march) and i was able to get the car into the shop.

Current progress and plans.
This car is an autocross only car for me. Not original paint, seats out of a old Toyota, and topped off with lead based paint underneath and in the engine bay.
I installed a buddy club bucket seat using rails for a 00' civic. The old seat had gas welded brackets that i didn't think were up to par.
A local fab shop is currently designing a harness bar.
I have the parts to rebuild the brake system (waiting on a couple more bits)
Waiting on poly bushes and BC coilovers (DS series with extreme low kit)/
I plan on keeping the stock 1200 until it blows or until everything else with the car is done.
Full cage, d16z6, 4X100 swap are in the future.
Possibly the malley body kit as well.
Like i said, its gonna be a purpose autocross car. I plan on doing most things myself. Except the harness bar and cage.
Little bit of a lengthy post, but i think you guys will appreciate another addition to the group.
Ill post pictures when i get to the shop Monday.

Gusto (August Boehm) of , was a member of this site owns and operates 1StGenCivic.Info,
I do not endorse the site nor was I asked for permission to use or re-publish the information from here.
He scraped the web for past pages that are already included in the database of this site known as 1StGenCivic.com/org or previous generations and upgrades.
I am closing site down as an open discussion forum.