Phil
Projects
Projects
Australia
Province/State: SA
Model: 1975 Hatchback

Re: Phil's 1975 Honda Civic 1200

Unread post by Phil »

I've been putting this off for a while and there's no better time than now to catch you all up on what i've been up to.

The Rear Bumper

One of the saddest looking parts of the car was in need of a good restoration.
before
before
I decided to go a little further than the front bumper. I took off the bumper and separated all the bits from the main 'chrome' part and proceeded to clean with a decent car wash. I Spent a good day wire wheeling out all of the old paint/rust/yuck and applied a rust converter, which revealed a bruised 'purplish' black colour after I let set for 30 mins. Followed by a wipe with a damp cloth and some mineral turps.
rust treated
rust treated
After rust treatment, I chose to fill the existing two holes in the centre of the bumper with fibreglass from the inside edge. This was my first time using fibreglass, so I was pleased to see it worked out alright. Following up the fibreglass process, body filler was used to finish the job on the outside edge.
fibreglassed holes
fibreglassed holes
body filled
body filled
Next up was a good sand before moving onto painting the inside with equipment enamel (cheap and nasty industrial paint) works a charm. I'm in the shed to avoid the high wind!
inside painted
inside painted
Annnnnd out to bake
baking outside in the sun
baking outside in the sun
The following day I tackled the outside edge. A quick go over with the clay bar removed the majority of non essential sap and other crap from the bumper.

Let the taping Begin! This process, as last time takes a good effort of eye-tape coordination. The result only comes out as good as your preparation!
fixed tape bumper.jpg
taped!
taped!
Again i'm using the same satin black 2k mix as the front bumper. I was really pleased with the shade last time.
peel and reveal
peel and reveal
Last but not least, the other bits... All hardware replaced with stainless steel options from united fasteners, just like the front bumper.
20200327_131453.jpg
20200327_144845.jpg
final assembly
final assembly

Gusto (August Boehm) of , was a member of this site owns and operates 1StGenCivic.Info,
I do not endorse the site nor was I asked for permission to use or re-publish the information from here.
He scraped the web for past pages that are already included in the database of this site known as 1StGenCivic.com/org or previous generations and upgrades.
I am closing site down as an open discussion forum.