Restoring Instrument Cluster Faces

The place to post pictures and guides for anything you have done from a technical point of view.
bob78cvcc
Province/State: NJ
My Vehicle: Civic CVCC
My Vehicle Other: HondaCR-V
Car Wish: I wish for a Honda S2000

Restoring Instrument Cluster Faces

Postby bob78cvcc » August 9th, 2009, 3:35 pm

Here's a quick how to for replacing your old worn instrument cluster faces.

This will focus on the faces only. See qdseeker's guide if you need help removing the instrument cluster: http://www.1stgencivic.com/forum ... php?t=9857

1- remove the speedo or tach gauge from your instrument panel. There are four screws that attach the tach or speedo to the back of the instrument cluster case.

2- carefully remove the rubber ring from the tach or speedo. The (usually) plastic face can now be removed. If your gauge is worn or faded this is a good time to repaint or replace the tach or speedo face.

3- If using plexiglass, trace your old face onto a fresh piece of plexiglass.
clamp your old face over the piece you want to cut and carefully scribe into the plastic with a plastic cutter tool. Take your time as the tool can easily slip and make your project a little harder than it has to be.

4- After you carefully scribed all around the old face you can remove the clamps and with a pair of pliers carefully break the plastc away from the scribed circle.

5- It's up to you how much sanding you want to do to the plastic circumference. It will be hidden from view once you insert it back into the rubber ring.

6- You now have a nice new set of plastic gauge faces. Time to repaint your tach face to match. :D

Next we will cover replacing your old scratched plastic faces with glass. :wink:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ebay listinglSupport the site, please use the ebay links below

Visit our 1StGenCivic Auctions

Visit our 2ndGenCivic Auctions

bob78cvcc

Postby bob78cvcc » August 9th, 2009, 3:59 pm

Now if you're really ambitious, you can make your new faces out of glass.
This is a little harder to do than the plexiglass and somewhat more dangerous.

1- you need to buy or borrow a glass circle cutter (I got mine from ebay).

2- I went to Lowes and bought a 10 inch by 12 inch sheet of glass. Lowes will cut the glass into smaller pieces. I had it cut into four 5 inch by 6 inch pieces.

3- Clean the glass and lubricate your glass cutter

4- place your piece of glass onto a piece of carpet or corrugated cardboard

5- Attach your circle cutter into the center of the piece of glass. Slowly and carefully scribe a complete circle into your glass. Make sure you have gone all the way around with your score.

6- Remove the glass cutter and flip your piece over. Gently apply pressure with your index fingers around the scribed area. Make sure you go all the way around and see pressure cracks filling up your scribed circle.

7- Carefully flip the piece over again and apply a little more pressure. You may need to score a line or two on the outside of the scribed area to help relieve the pressure.

8- At this point most of the glass should be cleanly broken away from the scribed circle area. Use a pair of pliers to gent nib away at any remaining pieces.

Here is a link to a good tutorial for cutting glass circles: http://www.system96.com/Pages/CircleDemo/Circle1.html

Once your new glass faces are cut, you can insert them into the rubber rings. You now have nice new glass faces. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bob78cvcc

Postby bob78cvcc » November 21st, 2009, 11:30 am

Here is the final result. :D

[ img ]

HondaCarCare1
Zex Nos
Zex Nos
Province/State: Oregon
My Vehicle: See Other!
My Vehicle Other:

Postby HondaCarCare1 » November 21st, 2009, 2:46 pm

WOW! Those gauges look brand new. :D

Great job.

Blackbullet
Zex Nos
Zex Nos
My Vehicle Other:

Postby Blackbullet » November 21st, 2009, 3:23 pm

Good job. 8) Is the rev counter electronic or cable driven?

bob78cvcc

Postby bob78cvcc » November 21st, 2009, 6:36 pm

Blackbullet wrote:Good job. 8) Is the rev counter electronic or cable driven?

It is electronic

Mike S
Mugen
Mugen
My Vehicle Other: None

Postby Mike S » November 22nd, 2009, 6:04 am

Since the glass used is neither toughened nor laminated, I would recommend against the glass replacement for the original pexiglass/acrylic.

Do you really want glass **inside** your car that, if broken in a crash, will break into nice dagger-shaped shards?

Laminated windscreens and toughened glass side windows (shatter into small roundish pieces when broken) are there for a reason.

MS

John S.
My Vehicle Other:

Postby John S. » January 3rd, 2010, 11:09 am

If it will fit you could use "full strength", which is stronger yet still not as thick as 1/4", still there is always the possibility of a shattering on a hard impact. This would be in opposition to the much better ability to clean them without potential scratches. I have thought about going to glass myself. BTW, I repainted the faded red on mine, but at the 6000 to 6500 point I used yellow which gives it a slight custom touch. Not stepping too far out on the limb here as both the 1200s and the CVCCs are capable of 6500 in stock condition as long as the motors are strong and you keep plenty of clean fresh oil in them at all times.

Return to “DIY, Tips, tricks and how-to's”