Civic 1973-1979 Projects
Phil
Projects
Projects
Province/State: SA
Model: 1975 Hatchback

Re: Phil's 1975 Honda Civic 1200

Post by Phil »

The flywheel is back from Enfield clutch and I've got a new Clutch kit to suit the EB 4 speed gearbox.

The flywheel has already been sent off for balancing with the pressure plate.

Original EB flywheel weighed in at just shy of 7kg
Final lightened weight of 5kg
IMG_20190916_110557_704.jpg

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

Flywheel is now balanced and I can proceed with the gearbox.

The torque rod bracket is now in its final form and attaches well to 4 points - 2 gearbox bolts, casting point from the EN1 head and behind the fuel pump. Will get better pictures once I have it mounted.
Torque rod bracket
Torque rod bracket
The painting escapade continues!

Without a doubt through the painting process, my time management skills have improved. I have now also introduced a wire hanging system to speed up the process ensuring decent coverage.
Hanging out my primed washing
Hanging out my primed washing
Painted and ready to cure (in the sun)
Painted and ready to cure (in the sun)
Back to the wire wheel for the air cleaner - minimal amounts of surface rust were removed.
Wire wheeled air cleaner base
Wire wheeled air cleaner base
Air cleaner lid
Air cleaner lid
Almost everything is now painted!
received_778483929239946.jpeg
received_257549441796172.jpeg
I'm currently on the hunt for some steering rack boot replacements. I've found a full instructional from Randy, but have failed to find any kind of replacement options. Assuming it's highly unlikely that anything is still produced. Can anyone suggest any options here? Thanks in advance!
How do you feel about this?
How do you feel about this?

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

After receiving some good advice from Jay, I decided to try my hand at using some resin on a spare set of wheel caps and front emblem.

I started off by cleaning up the caps using alluminium foil and a bit of autosol polish. I then proceeded to wipe them over with a clean rag.
Cleaned and polished comparison
Cleaned and polished comparison
Polished (damaged front emblem)
Polished (damaged front emblem)
Filled with resin and hardener using a syringe.
Final result after 24hrs of setting
Final result after 24hrs of setting
Product - pebeo gedeo Ruby resin and hardener. (150ml goes a long way).

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

I watched a few YouTube tutorials prior to receiving the kit. The trick is to mix the resin and hardener slowly in the host container. This prevents any bubbles from occurring. Final mix must be bubble free before moving on to the syringe. Also be careful to control the syringe output (I got caught off guard a couple of times!).
20191020_091457.jpg

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

We started getting into the gearbox last week. Something I'm happy to leave to my mechanic from a technical perspective (less all the cleaning).

Adrian from Civic garage provided the goods with a seal rebuild kit and 4 speed gasket set.

We encountered a few bearings that require replacement. Both differential carrier bearings are noisy and the Countershaft roller bearing with the circlip also isn't sounding the best. I'm yet to find the roller bearing, pretty sure it's a unique part.
20191017_160337.jpg
20191015_155811.jpg
20191017_153822.jpg
20191015_151642.jpg
20191015_151627.jpg
20191017_162140.jpg
20191015_144048.jpg
20191015_121605.jpg
20191015_121542.jpg

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

Bearings have arrived!

Spent this afternoon replacing the bearings and preparing the gearbox for reassembly.
Differential
Differential
Countershaft
Countershaft
Almost ready to seal.

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

I've been using my spare time to clean up the inner front bumper.
Pre treatment
Pre treatment
I decided to sacrifice a few of my bumper bolts after confirming I had spares in the shed. The bumper bracket was rusted stuck, so I grinded straight down the nut to split it like butter.
The stuck bracket
The stuck bracket
2 solid days of wire wheeling on and off, followed by rust treatment.
Rust treatment
Rust treatment
The day after I went to the local paint supply store and picked up some equipment enamel and primer. Also got a custom flat charcoal colour mixed up for the exterior bumper strip.
Primed inner bumper
Primed inner bumper
Painted inner bumper
Painted inner bumper
Charcoal colour comparison to gloss black
Charcoal colour comparison to gloss black
Unofficial colour mix
Unofficial colour mix
I changed both of the front bumper brackets for better condition spares in the shed. Although, one tab was broken off each of my spares.
Bumper bracket master
Bumper bracket master
I made a new tab by flattening out a broken coil clamp using a vice and hammer. Bent it up to shape and measured it up against an existing one. Cut through with the grinder and attempted to shape it. Drilled a hole through the centre and filed the rest out. Next I drilled two more holes diagonally to support spot welds. I hammered up the existing part of the broken tab and cut it off & ground it down level.
Tab and grinding
Tab and grinding
Tab with holes
Tab with holes
After completing this I moved onto the top bumper panel supporting the indicators, following the same wire wheel process.
Rust
Rust
Found a just in case spare in the shed
Found a just in case spare in the shed
I wanted to get the lights off to see how bad the rust was. One set had rounded threads and the other came off fine. (still likely to replace these bolts). Whether I had spares or not... the rounded threads needed the old drill treatment for removal. At the point of removal I was glad to have the spare panel.
Holey cancerous rust
Holey cancerous rust
The threads on the orange panel are in need of some work, but that will be much easier than filling the holes of brown town.

The front portion of the car is now satin black!
IMG_20191025_130851_709.jpg
Crossmembers back from the powder coaters
Crossmembers back from the powder coaters

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

The bumper bracket tab is now welded, along with the bumper bolt channel. I've also grinded these down and rust treated them.
Tab attached
Tab attached
channel welded/grinded/treated
channel welded/grinded/treated
Today I was on a mission to get the bumper looking a little better. Step one was removing the overspray. I used a Mothers clay bar kit, that I can happily recommend for contaminate removal from chrome. I rinsed and washed the bumper, then spent 30 minutes going over it with the clay bar and came up with a good result. I went over the bumper with a microfibre cloth and waited for it to dry.

Next I moved onto sanding the inner section of the bumper with 400 grit sandpaper before washing and drying again. I used wax and grease remover and wiped it down. Before moving onto the paint, I taped up the centre section for painting. I laid down 2 thin layers of etch primer and 3 layers of paint, spraying the last layer of paint from a further distance to achieve a textured look.
bumper pre paint
bumper pre paint
bumper paint
bumper paint
bumper complete
bumper complete
The gearbox still needs some final measurements before moving onto final assembly.

Engine is getting there, timing and water pump is done* (*I would love an adjustable camshaft gear*).
Engine needs an adjustable camshaft gear
Engine needs an adjustable camshaft gear

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

The bumper bolt tube had a split in it so it's just a repair job. I'll get these painted up next week in a stealthy matte black finish, then onto the top bumper panel.

Phil
Projects
Projects

Post by Phil »

Now that I'm back at work the build progress is slowing down. I will do my best to keep up with documentation.

My good friend August recently returned from Japan with some rs gauges, that we won on yahoo jp. I look forward to getting these working in the not too distant future.
IMG_20191107_182627_138.jpg
The front bumper is together. I painted the top indicator panel, bumper brackets and number plate bracket in satin black, and replaced all the hardware with new fasteners.
Bumper brackets
Bumper brackets
Front bumper complete
Front bumper complete
Front bumper complete
Front bumper complete
The gearbox is finally back together and tolerances are to specification. I decided to spend the last bit of spare time on the weekend preparing and painting the gearbox.
Gearbox before
Gearbox before
Gearbox after
Gearbox after
After completing the gearbox, we moved onto the rear main seal (which was 'fun' to get out). The unfortunate event was when the new seal cracked on first contact (apparently had been sitting on the shelf for 18 years). Have already organised a replacement.

I also have removed the exhaust completely now, ready for its replacement.

I've also started to pull the looms back into the engine bay and install a few accessories.

Exhaust manifold has returned from the ceramic coaters. Pleased. With the result.
Exhaust manifold ceramic coated
Exhaust manifold ceramic coated
Attachments
Painted brake lines
Painted brake lines
Crossmembers powder coated
Crossmembers powder coated
20191116_165653.jpg
20191116_165657.jpg
FB_IMG_1574675832111.jpg