Wheeler Dealers restores a 1977 CVCC

This is the place to show off your ride to other members of the community. Post pictures and videos of your car and the modifications you have done to it.
Posts your videos and internet clips here
Doccerz
Owner
Owner
Province/State: Tx
My Vehicle: Civic CVCC
My Vehicle Other: 2015 Sienna
Car Wish: New 1200

Wheeler Dealers restores a 1977 CVCC

Postby Doccerz » June 9th, 2016, 2:09 pm

On May 23rd, Wheeler Dealers presented an episode buying, restoring, and selling a yellow 1977 Civic CVCC. I'm not sure when the show will broadcast in the US but here's a sneaky youtube video of the episode:

I will say that since they've been doing the show in the US the depth of work has been simplified a bit, which I dislike. But either way, it's a really beautiful job they did.
Last edited by Doccerz on June 9th, 2016, 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ebay listinglSupport the site, please use the ebay links below

Visit our 1StGenCivic Auctions

Visit our 2ndGenCivic Auctions

EvoCivic
Province/State: NSW
My Vehicle: Civic 1200
My Vehicle Other: Civic 1200 5-door
Car Wish: NSX Type-R

Re: Wheeler Dealers restores a 1977 CVCC

Postby EvoCivic » June 9th, 2016, 8:28 pm

Doccerz wrote:I will say that since they've been doing the show in the US the depth of work has been simplified a bit, which I dislike. But either way, it's a really beautiful job they did.

I'm afraid that I have to completely disagree with you there. It was a cheap and nasty hack job. El-cheapo paint job, hacked apart the dash to put those stupid extra gauges in. They spent far too much time blabbing on about fuel economy and talking to that hyper-milage guy and next to no time on the car itself. The price Honda supposedly paid for it at the end was just stupid, it wasn't worth even half that and was definitely NOT museum quality.

Doccerz
Owner
Owner

Postby Doccerz » June 9th, 2016, 8:33 pm

I suppose I haven't seen enough restores up close, yet. I could tell that a lot of the work that needed done was unseen. Also, in spite of it being poorly done in your opinion, it's still nice to see a 1st gen spotlighted on the tee vee, no?

bob78cvcc
Province/State: NJ
My Vehicle Other: HondaCR-V
Car Wish: I wish for a Honda S2000

Postby bob78cvcc » June 9th, 2016, 8:49 pm

The show did give our cars some much needed PR.
EvoCivic is accurate in his assessment though.
Why butcher up a perfectly good dash?
Why call it a CVCC and not a Civic CVCC?
Why not do a proper paint job and emblem restoration?
It did not come close to meeting the standards of many of the restorations done by members of this forum.
The Honda Museum had to be in it for the PR as well; no other excuse to pay out that amount of $$. :)

Doccerz
Owner
Owner

Postby Doccerz » June 9th, 2016, 8:56 pm

Like I mentioned, I always thought the old shows had a lot more interesting highlights and more what I feel were authentic problems. As soon as the show started coming over here to get classics, they sort of went all flash over substance. As far as the dash, is it that they called it a restore instead of a mod, meaning is it okay if everyone knows they didn't intend to make it original?

Of course that begs the question why the Huh did Honda buy it, other than to have a 'Wheeler Dealers' car on show?

tviracing
Mugen
Mugen
Province/State: london
My Vehicle: S800
My Vehicle Other: 5 3dr 1st gen civics
Car Wish: z600

Postby tviracing » June 10th, 2016, 7:12 pm

i must apologies to you guys for landing up with "bodge it and son" a disgrace to the motoring world of enthusiasts
it shows the uk in a poor light that we allow these kind of idiots to to represennt themselves as "experts" and i can assure you all this is NOT the kind of work enthusiast in the uk would be proud to put their name too
i would rather put a brick through my tv than allow this kind of Gaak in my front room !!!
all this amounts to is low budget tv programmes which i find really offensive to my intelligence and totally wrong to inflict on veiwers
i can assure you all this programme will only get worse
nicely summed up EVO

EvoCivic
Province/State: NSW
My Vehicle: Civic 1200
My Vehicle Other: Civic 1200 5-door
Car Wish: NSX Type-R

Postby EvoCivic » June 10th, 2016, 8:16 pm

Arthur Daley would have been very proud of those guys ;).

A while ago there was a similar show from the UK (different people) and it was too painful to watch. Absolute bodge from start to finish and everything completely set up. They 'restored' a Mini and half way through the episode it got sent off to have something done and when it came back on the flatbed they refused to pay the driver so he tipped it off onto its roof flattening it to door handle level. While upside down huge rust holes were visible in the floor that hadn't been there before and then two minutes and apparently one day later the roof and pillars were all fixed. Absolute load of garbage! They probably used several shells and made out there was only one. Those guys were even worse than the ones doing the Civic.

bob78cvcc
Province/State: NJ
My Vehicle Other: HondaCR-V
Car Wish: I wish for a Honda S2000

Postby bob78cvcc » June 10th, 2016, 8:52 pm

I know the show you are referring to.
They end up paying for this expert to appraise the cars at the end of the build.

Return to “The Showroom”