Projects
Projects
United States of America
Province/State: PA
Model: 1977 Hatchback

Project 77' 1200 Autocross Build

Unread post by NathanKar »

A little back story first!
I have only owned the car for about seven months. It sat in storage for roughly fourteen years before i purchased it. The original owner did have it running two years prior. He drained the fuel, changed the fuel filter, and swapped a new battery. Drove it around the block a few times and back into storage.
To my surprise it made it roughly sixty miles home with two year fuel, a carburetor that was horribly gummed up, and a gas tank that was filled with rust.

First thing was to rebuild the carburetor. (my first carburetor rebuild, my old man couldnt help but laugh at my struggle to understand it)
Dropped the gas tank, cleaned it out with a nice muriatic acid bath.
A bunch of general maintenance. Fluids, fliters, seals, plugs, wires, etc.

I live in Pennsylvania (good ol' snow belt) so it went into the barn for the winter. Luckily we had a random 70 degree day in the middle of Feb (its now 28 Degrees, march) and i was able to get the car into the shop.

Current progress and plans.
This car is an autocross only car for me. Not original paint, seats out of a old Toyota, and topped off with lead based paint underneath and in the engine bay.
I installed a buddy club bucket seat using rails for a 00' civic. The old seat had gas welded brackets that i didn't think were up to par.
A local fab shop is currently designing a harness bar.
I have the parts to rebuild the brake system (waiting on a couple more bits)
Waiting on poly bushes and BC coilovers (DS series with extreme low kit)/
I plan on keeping the stock 1200 until it blows or until everything else with the car is done.
Full cage, d16z6, 4X100 swap are in the future.
Possibly the malley body kit as well.
Like i said, its gonna be a purpose autocross car. I plan on doing most things myself. Except the harness bar and cage.
Little bit of a lengthy post, but i think you guys will appreciate another addition to the group.
Ill post pictures when i get to the shop Monday.

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

77' 1200 autocross project

A couple photos I had on my phone already.
The original owner had this massive fiberglass lip that he gave me with the car. I couldn't tell you how happy I was when he dug it out of an old bus on the property. I'm clueless of the brand, but the massive channels to funnel air to the brakes are so cool.
And a couple photos of the buddy club seat. The seat was out of an old Toyota from what the original owner said.
Attachments
Lift.jpg
OldNewSeat.jpg
SeatInCar.jpg

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

Im extremely skeptical on the structural integrity of these little cars when driving aggressively. Ive been told by a few to brace different areas of the car. First time someone has mention the seat brackets. Luckily im a relatively small guy 5'8" and the back of the seat is nearly inline with the rear mounting location. I have some rot in the car as is, luckily floor pans and rails are clean. Straight holes in the rear strut tower (what im currently addressing). I was going to do a rear strut bar as a kinda temporary stiffener until shes ready to be caged.

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

The passenger seat will come out for events, with the coilovers im already in street modified so i can take out all the interior and still remain in the same class. The seat is always back that far because my best bud is six foot five inches, head hits the ceiling and everything. Im currently only using a four point harness, being thats its autocross i wasnt to concerned about a big accident and submarining under the belt.
ALSO! this photo was before i installed a momo hub and wheel, it pushed it roughly 2 inches closer to the seat, i havent adjusted the seat yet, but it will be slightly further back.

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

Making slow but steady progress with the interior of the car. The autocross club im part of requires surfaces to be covered with like OEM pieces. After putting in a club buddy bucket seat that was black and taking out the back seat, the only remaining orange vinyl was on the door panels and rear din panels. A simple trip down to the local joann fabrics store, i found some black vinyl that had very similar texture to the plastic in the rear as well as similar gloss.
Im hoping to do some more research into carpet options for the car. My biggest challenge to overcome is to carpet where the rear seat was. Possibly build some type of deck or something out of similar material the that door panels are made from, to make carpeting it easier.
Other random progress includes front brake, rotors, hard line, and hoses. Have everything for the rear expect new races and bearings. Hardness is finished, need to paint it before it goes in for good. Then will be able to install a sparco four point harness. Autocross is about three weeks away from today!
Attachments
IMG_20180317_083033.jpg
IMG_20180317_132505.jpg
IMG_20180316_165006.jpg

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

small update - autocross build

Okay. As the first car I have ever "built" for a purpose, autocross, I sometimes regret it being a 41 year old civic, but at the same time it make it that much better!
I wish i would have accomplished this months ago. However, international shipping and such a small market of parts has made progress slow.
The cars first autocross event is 3 days away. I received my BC coilovers today, DC series with the extreme low kit. I have had all the poly bushing for a while, they are going in with the coilovers. I didnt want to take things apart twice.
I refreshed both the front and the rear brakes and bearings. sandblasted most of what i could. Dont mind the anticease smudges on the black paint.
Ive also added goodridge stainless steel brake hoses. Was happy to get the old ones off. Also got yokahama 165/60R12's. wish i could have found USA DOT approved tires that would be decent for autocross with the OEM size.
Luckily the first event of the season is not as popular, gives me time to play with the coilovers. Gonna have to do a DIY alignment until i can get it to a proper shop next week.
Gonna be a couple long nights! The car shouldnt change much at all throughout the season. Wanna stay one class throughout the whole season.

Ill try to take more photos and provided better quality information on the coilovera and suspension components as the season progresses.
Attachments
coilovers3.jpg
brakerefreshfront.jpg
coilovers.jpg
coilovers2.jpg

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

also fitted a momo wheel and hub as well as a oil pressure gauge and tachometer :p

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

Two events down so far this season! She has been absolutely solid. Ran into the hard right turn loose fuel issue. Currently waiting on gl1000 carburetor rebuild kits for my RS carburetor :) they won't go in u till the second half of the season. Also go a set of 13x7s from a member of our autocross club. He ordered them custom spec from diamond years ago. Ordered a set of Toyo r888rs as well.
She's gets so much attention anywhere I take her. Gonna lift it a bit to fit the new wheels and tires when I get them in.
Attachments
IMG_20180426_125331_983.jpg
15248372849253170937541132676432.jpg

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

The wide wheels are only gonna be used at autocross. I raised the car a ton to make them fit and to make sure they wont hit the fender at the next event this weekend. I plan on cutting the fender and adding flares soon. Widebody in the long run. Bought from BC directly. I Google searches coupon codes and got 10% off :p
Attachments
20180503_102217.jpg
20180504_094542.jpg
20180504_131931.jpg

NathanKar
Projects
Projects
United States of America

I plan on cutting the fenders and getting cheap flares for the time being! the kits are a pretty penny :o thinking a 100mm flare on the front and 70mm on the rear should be pretty good.